2019 Training Events
We are pleased to say we have a full calendar of GP14 Association training events for this year. Whether it is “pond” or sea sailing, advanced level or not, there is something here for you!
ATTENTION BEGINNERS AND NON RACERS – NEW FOR 2019!
Cruising & Boat Handling – August Bank Holiday Weekend, Saturday 24th – Monday 26th August
at Bassenthwaite Sailing Club.
A relaxed weekend with the option of on-site camping.
See the Event page here
If you are interested in attending this event we would be pleased to arrange a feeder event at your club! Please contact Julie in the GP14 Office for more details.
Race Training at Papercourt Sailing Club – Saturday 16th March
Coach – Ian Dobson.
A rare chance to learn from the best. Ian Dobson,multiple GP14 world champion, will be running a boat tuning and race training event on Saturday 16th March at Papercourt
SC near Woking, Surrey.
All day event, and visitors welcome. Cost approx £10. No restriction on numbers, but please contact Sam Mettam [email protected] or 07779010103 so he knows you are coming.
See detailed arrangements here: PaperCourt Race Training March 16th
Note: Join the Papercourt SC Open Meeting the next day to put your training to immediate use!
Sea Training at Llandudno Sailing Club – Friday 26th April
Sea training at Llandudno prior to the Welsh Area Championships over the weekend of April 27th & 28th.
Friday training which is restricted to a maximum of 10 boats. On-line entry is now available in our Shop here
Race Training at Castle Semple Sailing Club – Sunday 9th June
Please contact Arthur Logan on [email protected] for further details.
Sunday July 28th & Friday August 2nd at Plas Menai.
2019 Craftinsure and E Howard Davies Youth Training week
Run on our behalf by the National Outdoor Centre for Wales with top guest coaches from the GP14 fleet. This year’s line-up includes Ellie Devereux, Phil Hodgkins, Neil Marsden, Mike Senior and Paul Simes.
There are 16 places available and to qualify you must be under 22 years of age on 31/12/19.
Details and application forms are available on our website here
WE STILL HAVE PLACES!!!
Note: UK National Championships being held the following week at Abersoch, which is only a short distance along the coast from Plas Menai.
As in previous year’s the training week will be fully residential with volunteer house parents and excellent value thanks to the continued support of Craftinsure and the E Howard-Davies Memorial Fund.
Sea Training – Friday 2nd August & Saturday 3rd August at Abersoch
A two days of sea training prior to the UK National Championships.
Coach: Neil Marsden.
Restricted to a maximum of 10 boats. (But we can always up this given time!)
Northern Area: Race Training at Budworth Sailing Club – Date TBA
Midland Area: Race Training – Club and Date TBA
Training is a key part of our service to GP14 sailors of all abilities, and we have provided many training events this year – see below!
This included 2 days of training before the 2018 World Championship at Mount’s Bay SC.
Check out the video – great drone shots of mark roundings showing how to gybe well (most competitors!)
This is followed by an extended close-up section demonstrating clearly “how to roll-gybe and roll-tack” in light winds – great insight for all of us club sailors into how to achieve these more tricky maneuvers!
There are a lot more training videos on our YouTube training playlist here
- 27/28 July – Mount’s Bay SC – Hone your skills and get to know the Mount’s Bay sailing waters immediately just before the 2018 Worlds.
- 22 June – Training at Arun YC – enjoy a pleasant evening preparing for the Southern Area Championships.
- 2 June 2018 – Training at Midland SC – get ready for the Midland Open on 3 June! All abilities welcome.
- 19/20 May – Sea training at Llandudno SC – Sea training ready for the 2018 Worlds. Two full days on the sea at this popular venue!
- 20 May 2018 – Castle Semple SC – The Castle Semple fleet are arranging this training and cordially invite any other GP14s join them
- 12 May 2018 – Hollingworth Lake SC – Get ready for the HLSC Open Event the following day
- 15 April 2018 – Welsh Harp SC – An advanced crewing day following the WHSC open on 14 April. This event will focus on crewing skills and is open to any boat with a crew that wants to get better!
- 1-6 April 2018 – Portland (Weymouth) – Craftinsure E Howard-Davies Youth Training Week. A residential week with top GP14 coaches. Open to all youths who want to sail in our championships.
Steve Parry, Old Yellow Boat
- Previous Events – 2017
- 30 September 2017 – Bolton SC – Open Training
- 9/10 Sept. 2017 – Blessington S.C – Youth Training
- 4/5 August 2017 – Looe SC – Sea Training prior to UK Nationals Championships
- 16 July 2017 – Welsh Harp SC – Ladies Training
- 30 June 2017 – Dovey YC – Sea Training prior to Welsh Area Championships
- 09-14 April 2017 – Portland – E Howard-Davies Youth Training Week. More details…
- October 2016 – Llandudno Sailing Club – Sea Training.
- August 2016 – Skerries Sailing Club – Youth Training
- July 2016 – South Staffs Sailing Club – Ladies Training
- May 2016 – Bolton Sailing Club – Open Training
- October 2015 – Landudno Sailing Club – Open Training