UK Training Programme
For 2022 we are very please to have a wide range of training events!
If you have any comments on training or requests please fill in the online Survey form
Please remember you must be a full member of the Association to take part in any training events!
- Jump to:
- 2023 Training
- 2022 Training
- Previous Training Events:
The International GP14 Class Association Training Day
Saturday 25th March 2023 Organised by the International GP14 Class Association and in Association with Chase Sailing Club
Fill out Chase Training Entry form soon, limited spaces available.
2023 Craftinsure and E Howard-Davies GP14 Youth Training Week
Sunday 2nd April – Friday 7th April at Plas Menai Outdoor Pursuits Centre, Caernarfon, Gwynedd.
The Craftinsure and E Howard-Davies GP14 Youth Training Week is an advanced race training course run over five days for helms and crews able to demonstrate racing competency and a desire to compete at GP14 championships. Sailors must also be under 22 on 31 Dec 2023, or still in full-time education.
Please use the form underneath to apply for a place and send it to Julie in the GP14 Office; [email protected]
Applications should be received by Saturday 14th January 2023 to be sure of consideration in the initial selection process.
The International GP14 Class Association Training Weekend
Saturday 29th, Sunday 30th April 2023 Organised by the Andrew Simpson Centre in conjunction with the Int GP14 Class Association
Andrew Simpson Centre, Portland Harbour, Weymouth
Please fill out Entry form by clicking here.
The International GP14 Class Association Training Day
Saturday 5th August 2023 Organised by the Int GP14 Class Association in association with Looe Sailing Club
Fill out Looe Training Entry form soon, limited spaces are available.
2022 Training Events
Sea Training at Llandudno Sailing Club – Thursday 21st July 2022
- Hone your sea sailing skills ready for both the Nationals, which follow on and the World Championship at Skerries in August.
- Start time: 10.00am with boats rigged and ready to launch.
- Maximum number 10 boats
- Our Guest Coach is Adam McGovern RYA North West Regional Development Officer and GP14 Sailor.
Weymouth Sea Training No. 2 – Sat. 2nd & Sun. 3rd July
The guest coach will be top sailor Sam Watson!
For those that have already paid the deposit, the balance of £100 is due before June 1st:
June 1st onwards: Full payment for the weekend per boat is £130
Enter now in our Shop
Midland Area – Training Day at Chase S.C – Sunday 20th March 2022
8-Mar-2022 – Sorry folks, not enough people have entered to make this viable, so regrettable this event is now cancelled 🙁
Sea Training at Weymouth – Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th April 2022
Brush up your Sea sailing skills on this weekend. The weekend is being run by a Senior Instructor from the Andrew Simpson Centre and a Guest Coach.
The weekend will start at 10.00am with a short Classroom session followed by launching and a morning on the water of Portland Harbour. Lunch with a debrief of the mornings sailing and then back out sailing. Day 2 will have a similar format and possibly outside of the harbour. More details will follow in due course.
Accommodation is available to book at Portland House, built to house the GB sailors for the 2012 Olympics. Tel: 01305 828941
With a code from the GP office, a twin room can be booked for £60 a night. These rooms have self-catering facilities.
Alternatively Camper vans can book onsite directly with W&PNSA. There is a café where breakfast and lunches are available. There is also a Lidl next door.
An entry form is available on the website and an initial deposit of £30 is required. The cost of the weekend per person is £70 if we have 6 boats and £50 if we have eight boats. Eight being the maximum. The balance will be due on April 1st.
This is a fantastic opportunity to brush up your skills with many sea sailing events on the Calendar for 2022, not to mention the World Championship in Skerries.
Training Day at Bala Sailing Club – Friday 20th May 2022
- Start time 10.00am.
- Maximum number 8 boats
- Coach for the day: Previous UK National and GP14 World Champion sailor Mike Senior!
September 25th 2021 – Training Day at Frensham Pond Sailing Club.
Entry fee £20 per boat. Limited to 12 boats. The day will start early at 9.00am, firstly a briefing in the classroom followed by a period on the water. After Lunch there is a chance to join in the 14.30 FPSC Pursuit Race. Alternatively there will be Classroom training with a return to the water around 16.00 for an hour. Details on food availability tbc
Sunday 24th October to Friday 29th October 2021
Plas Menai National Outdoor Centre, Caernarfon, Gwynedd
The Craftinsure and E Howard-Davies GP14 Youth Training Week is an advanced race training course run over five days for helms and crews able to demonstrate racing competency and a desire to compete at GP14 championships. Sailors must also be under 22 on 31 Dec 2021.
Each day we have a guest coach associated with the GP14 Class who have specific skills to give a week of 1st class training.
We are pleased to announce our Guest Coaches:
- Phil Hodgkins from Ginger boats;
- Sam Watson, current National Champion;
- Chris White, current World Champion Crew;
- Ian Dobson, multi Championship winner; and
- James Goodfellow, previous GP14 Youth Champion and top 10 Championship sailor.
- We are also welcoming Ali Young 3 x Laser Radial Olympian for a zoom meeting one evening to talk about the importance of fitness and Sport Psychology.
From the International GP14 Association a big thank you to all our Coaches for giving up their time
Midland Area Training day: Saturday 14th March at South Staffs Sailing Club. Trainers – Mike Senior am, Jim Hunt pm. All are welcome to leave their boats overnight and join in with Sunday’s racing. First race 11.30am
Cruising & Boat Handling – August Bank Holiday Weekend, Saturday 24th – Monday 26th At Bassenthwaite Sailing Club. A relaxed weekend with the option of on-site camping.
Race Training at Papercourt Sailing Club – Saturday 16th March A rare chance to learn from the best. Ian Dobson,multiple GP14 world champion, will be running a boat tuning and race training event.
Sea Training at Llandudno Sailing Club – Friday 26th April – Prior to the Welsh Area Championships
Race Training at Castle Semple Sailing Club – Sunday 9th June
2019 Craftinsure and E Howard Davies Youth Training week – July 28th – August 2nd at Plas Menai.
Top guest coaches from the GP14 fleet. This year’s line-up includes Ellie Devereux, Phil Hodgkins, Neil Marsden, Mike Senior and Paul Simes. Fully residential, excellent value thanks to the continued support of Craftinsure and the E Howard-Davies Memorial Fund.
Sea Training – August 2nd/3rd at Abersoch: Two days of sea training prior to the UK National Championships with Coach: Neil Marsden.
Northern Area: Race Training at Budworth Sailing Club – Date TBA
Midland Area: Race Training – Club and Date TBA
Training is a key part of our service to GP14 sailors of all abilities, and we have provided many training events this year – see below!
This included 2 days of training before the 2018 World Championship at Mount’s Bay SC.
Check out the video – great drone shots of mark roundings showing how to gybe well (most competitors!)
This is followed by an extended close-up section demonstrating clearly “how to roll-gybe and roll-tack” in light winds – great insight for all of us club sailors into how to achieve these more tricky maneuvers!
There are a lot more training videos on our YouTube training playlist here
- 27/28 July – Mount’s Bay SC – Hone your skills and get to know the Mount’s Bay sailing waters immediately just before the 2018 Worlds.
- 22 June – Training at Arun YC – enjoy a pleasant evening preparing for the Southern Area Championships.
- 2 June 2018 – Training at Midland SC – get ready for the Midland Open on 3 June! All abilities welcome.
- 19/20 May – Sea training at Llandudno SC – Sea training ready for the 2018 Worlds. Two full days on the sea at this popular venue!
- 20 May 2018 – Castle Semple SC – The Castle Semple fleet are arranging this training and cordially invite any other GP14s join them
- 12 May 2018 – Hollingworth Lake SC – Get ready for the HLSC Open Event the following day
- 15 April 2018 – Welsh Harp SC – An advanced crewing day following the WHSC open on 14 April. This event will focus on crewing skills and is open to any boat with a crew that wants to get better!
- 1-6 April 2018 – Portland (Weymouth) – Craftinsure E Howard-Davies Youth Training Week. A residential week with top GP14 coaches. Open to all youths who want to sail in our championships.
Steve Parry, Old Yellow Boat
- Previous Events – 2017
- 30 September 2017 – Bolton SC – Open Training
- 9/10 Sept. 2017 – Blessington S.C – Youth Training
- 4/5 August 2017 – Looe SC – Sea Training prior to UK Nationals Championships
- 16 July 2017 – Welsh Harp SC – Ladies Training
- 30 June 2017 – Dovey YC – Sea Training prior to Welsh Area Championships
- 09-14 April 2017 – Portland – E Howard-Davies Youth Training Week. More details…
- October 2016 – Llandudno Sailing Club – Sea Training.
- August 2016 – Skerries Sailing Club – Youth Training
- July 2016 – South Staffs Sailing Club – Ladies Training
- May 2016 – Bolton Sailing Club – Open Training
- October 2015 – Landudno Sailing Club – Open Training